Monday, September 15, 2014

2014 Fall Farmer's Market Haul~!

My favorite time of the year is fall and I make an effort to get to the market so I can start canning salsa, cooking and nesting as it gets colder out.  I don't want to be running around all winter trying to get great produce and paying an arm and leg either, plus I love to taste all the seasonal goodies!
So this year I will be trying a few different pickling recipes and perhaps some relishes, and I would share more with others if we could get together and do some canning together.  But that is another story, many people think it's easier to buy cans of food from the store, however I can vouch that it is more expensive and not healthy! If you are not keen on canning in jars, you can also freeze foods and salsa too.  I was doing both, until I thought about just eating fresh produce as much as I can in the summer and canning for the winter.

So in my definition of an epic weekend, it's spent getting most of the things I wanted on my grocery list at the Farmer's Market or at least getting the bulk of it done.  It's viewing all the fresh things they have down there and also sampling new food.  I get hungry just thinking about it again!

Do I have a favorite market, one that I think is better than the rest where I live? Yes, most certainly, although you will find different vendors at each Farmer's Market, and I do like to switch it up, but I think the Crossroads Farmer's Market is the best for produce and eating.  I had not went in the longest while and it's a great place to start, as they have a huge produce area of local and fresh vegetables and fruits this time of year.

I actually fulfilled everything that I wanted along with extras!  You can check out many great salsa recipes online to get started on what and to see how much tomatoes and produce you will need.  I have it down pat though, and I know what to purchase.  A case of field tomatoes is where I start for salsa making (about 48 in a double layer case) and I try to find ones that are not ripe just yet to buy myself time to get the project started.Then I seen there were some delicious Roma tomatoes to go back for if I want to make tomato sauce; separate from my salsa making project.

 I pick up 2 mixed bags of peppers, one spicy or small type peppers and the other multi-color or greens peppers.  I add some extra jalapenos in a bag to make sure I have enough heat for some of the varieties of salsa I like. Onions and cilantro are also things I purchase, but not always at the market, and if I cannot find or don't feel like weaving in and out of the crowd for those simple things that you can find easily another day. I like to use it fresh when you are getting ready to can, so it's easy to find at your local grocery store although organic might be an issue.  Cilantro is also best fresh as it can spoil very quickly, just like any other herb of its kind.  Or you can opt to leave it out of the canned salsa and add dried cilantro or parsley, or add it in fresh every time when you are eating it later on in the winter.

I look out for organic produce of course, but if I cannot find it local is better than nothing.  This year I didn't get either though, as I noted the tomatoes in flats were from California.  Since I have been eating local tomatoes all summer I guess my salsa tomatoes can be from California.  To be honest, these ones are not the most tasty, as I have robbed ripe ones for salad.

From there, you can get creative and purchase a couple cobs of corn to add to a type of salsa, or perhaps some peaches or squash and make some different types.  I also add in carrots for a garden style salsa.  Sweet salsa is good on many things too or to present as a gift to someone.  They may like it on their various cooking dishes.

Another thing to purchase at the Farmer's Markets is local, raw and unpasterized honey.  Although the price has increased it was still well worth it in my opinion.  I purchase a pail and it usually lasts me all winter and then a little longer.  

Although, I am not listing any of my recipes for salsa today, I thought you might find the abundant colors of my Farmer's Market Haul appealing and inspiring.  You can also nab a couple of each item tonight and instead of canning you can make a tasty and healthy salad or salsa for dinner!
 





No comments:

Post a Comment