Saturday, May 11, 2013

Farmer's Market Day Haul!

I am sure glad I made it to the local Farmer's Market today, since it was beautiful outside and because I found some great produce!  Not only do I get a little too excited about it, ( I know) but it's also awesome because I meet people there and exchange recipes or ideas on how to eat healthier!  They had plenty of cut fruits to sample, and the beefsteak tomatoes were so plentiful and large. I purchased a case for a super deal! The photos may not do them justice, they are probably 2 lbs. each and  and I paid $1.12 per tomato! They are from a local area, RedCliff and Medicine Hat- so they label these tomatoes as RedHat's.

It's also nice to share with my neighbor, and I stop by on the way home, and give her a little something from my haul.  She is an elderly lady and I just look out for her, although she would prefer whisky, I make sure she has some fresh, local produce.  When my garden gets going I always share as much as I can afford to and take her tomatoes to ripen.  I had made a clipping of one of my houseplants, that does well in the shade, and because she doesn't have much sunlight in her apartment it should do perfectly! 

Sometimes, well most years, the weather seems to work against me, but I manage to grow enough tomatoes organically, that I make the most epic salsas and we eat everything fresh in the summertime!  I have canned my own pickles and salsa, so it lasts us all winter, but last year we just ate everything.

Of course, there are some things I cannot find local, like pineapples, mangoes and avocados.  Those mainly come from Mexico and are available all year round. I don't think I mentioned my avocado project, of which I have been attempting for 2 years to grow a healthy and successful tree. It worked once, and then my cat dug the plant up while I was at work.  He was bored, so he needed something to do since he had murdered his cat grass just as fast as I could grow it.  The cat nip was another addiction he had, but he would only eat the organic stuff so it was a healthy addiction! :)

I will be back in a couple weeks, detailing my new "sprouting" project, where I will be sprouting mung beans and sunflower seeds..... in a jar or a sprouting machine.  I am still working on composting.
Actually,  I did grow some squash seeds, and the seeds came out of a squash from the grocery store so I don't think they would have produced any fruit.  What I do, is grow the sprouts and leaves a little bit and cut them, and prepare them to add into my huge salads or even in an omelet.  I did snap a picture of what it looks like for you!  Until next time, here is my produce I picked up and ...............Live It Up~!



                           And time to eat~!  I add a fresh ginger & garlic vinaigrette!


No comments:

Post a Comment