Saturday, April 6, 2013

Whole Foods and Raw Food Eating

Hello Everyone!


I just wanted to do a quick update and let you know what I have been working on.  It's interesting,  I have started doing a lot of research into changing my diet and lifestyle, meaning the things that I am eating and growing to eat.  Although, I had already been doing exercise, I am still evaluating that as well.
For now, not that I am on a "diet", and more at this point, I am just not eating or drinking excessive calories, such as pop, sugary juice, candy, chocolate and starchy foods.  I have said goodbye to wines or beers, and I am drinking herbal caffeine free teas.  I have put more salads and fruits into my diet, but I still have had 12 grain breads and wraps at times.  I love peanut butter and have definitely had a few slices of bread with peanut butter.  I am really just starting, like I said, so I thought it might be helpful to ween myself off of certain foods, vices and test my will power.  I want to be cutting addictive foods out, and eventually reassess altogether what is going into my body. I did have frozen yogurt lately, but a small portion, and I have not touched pop or anything acidity while I did eat a whole bag of wasabi peas.
Anyways, that is how strict I am getting, so I can achieve a standard of health and I have watched a handful of You Tube videos from Raw Food Experts, visited some websites, but I have yet to purchase any one's DVDs or books.  As you can imagine there are some experts out there, some people that have been on a Raw Food Diet for 30 or more years.  So, I think although they do know what they are talking about either from their own personal experience or others, it's best to grow your own brain and see if it's something you would do.

That being said, there definitely are opposing views on what is considered healthy, unsafe and unhealthy, and fanatical.  I am somewhat amazed by some of these people that are very, very conscious on exactly what amount of vegetables they are even taking in, scaling to an exact bowlful portion or weighing the food, and then some people are not so by the book on everything.  I learned that if a person wants to move over to raw foods, then they best look into everything and even consult a naturopath or a dietician, so that you transition healthfully and safe from where you were in your normal diet. If you are on the standard North American way of eating, you may think that going right over to raw foods would be good, sort of cold turkey,  but because your body would be going through changes and withdrawals, you have to be sure that you will not be going back to eating the same things like meats and hamburgers, as you will find yourself getting sick. Once you have been eating clean, certain foods are not even what you will crave per say but it will take time to totally change your mindset of what is acceptable to eat, according to your body. Something to consider.
Also, by eating clean and raw, you probably will experience weight loss, or perhaps shedding some pounds, in certain areas, and that can sound wonderful but if you turned back and skipped a few days and indulged in the old ways of eating,  you would also experience weight gain likely more than you had before! 
It can be difficult to maintain this lifestyle, if you are around people that are not taking in a change at this point of eating better and identify with you on this subject. Treating your body better. isn't just physical, it actually is mental and it takes someone who is mentally ready to achieve success.  You may find it difficult to justify to others that may see it as silly to not eat certain foods, or stick to a regime,  but they also haven't done any research and don't understand what you are partaking in.  You wouldn't eat certain foods ever again if you knew that you are working against your bodies healing process or that you are causing avoidable health risks!  How could you turn back?  So, you might find it difficult to attend your usual dinner parties or eat out at restaurants.  Until you get a better idea of how you should start onto a path of eating better or raw, then I suggest you figure out what you need to be eating and what you don't, and until then you shouldn't feel guilty or stressed.  Overall, don't start blindly and but do get excited and find out more!
Now, when speaking about degenerative disease, the raw food diet may be the way to avoid being on pills and living an unhealthy lifestyle as you age.  For many of us, we are at a fork in the road by how our bodies tell us we feel, and by gaining more knowledge on health,  and if we don't make a serious change, then prescriptions are really in the forecast. Fasting, is something that I am learning about and it is also a way to cut down some risks of on setting diseases.  Now, fasting doesn't have to be starving or not eating exactly.  There are different types of fasting.  Sometimes, fasting can be eating only one meal in the day, either 2 days of the week, where the rest of the days of the week,  you eat your normal calorie intake or all your meals.
Another type of fasting can be done on a every second day interval type program, so that would be more difficult than the latter. 
Liquid fasting, where you are only drinking water for 2 days, is another type of fasting.  You can also "juice" for 2 to 3 days, only taking in that juice, and it can be a good amount of juice, so this one seems better than just water.  It depends where you are and this is giving your digestive system a rest to a degree.  So, there are really a few different programs. I wouldn't recommend any type of fasting until you have a clear diagnosis on what your level of health is.  Depending also, on if you are doing physical activity or how much, where you are climately, or if you are not able to access enough types of these foods that you can juice or consume, then this may not be advised to fast at that time.  Again, check with a trusted dietician, doctor and or naturopath before starting.
Here's couple of  informative You Tube videos about it all, to give you some objectivity.  Thanks for reading, I know I only brushed the surface so once I get more information, I will be posting here! Right now I am leaning towards more "whole foods" and laying off meat over a period of time.  I don't want to shock myself!
I also recommend doing the research yourself, and please tweet if you like this post! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOnK_n7Ontg&list=UUPW4dz9AgWji2kFW--wIqMA&index=7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiFGL_aQT58 

No comments:

Post a Comment